Safety topic from Episode 4
Aerodromes (EP 4)
- Remote non-controlled aerodrome, CTAF 126.7
- Busy CTAF frequency, shared with Normanton, Burketown, Karumba and Pompuraaw
- Operated by Aboriginal Shire Council; phone prior for any queries, including landing fee. See ERSA.
- Avgas – irregular procedures apply, including callout and fuel not available on weekends. No cards accepted. Must phone before arrival. See ERSA.
- AWIS Ph 07 4060 5472; or VHF freq 128.25
- Birds and wallabies in vicinity
- Remote ALA
- Northern end bitumen sealed 500m
- Use Multicom 126.7 (Laura is depicted on charts, but has not been assigned a discrete frequency. Read CAAP 166-1(3)7.3)
- No avgas available. Nearest avgas Cooktown and Coen.
- Public telephone and general store in town, 500m west of strip.
- Potential wallaby hazard
- Coastal non-controlled aerodrome, CTAF 126.7
- H24 Avgas available - see ERSA
- AWIS ph 07 4069 6937
- Know the co-ordinates of the Cooktown airstrip and take care with identifying the correct strip! There’s a decommissioned old airstrip nearby that may confuse pilots. It is about half way between the current aerodrome and the town of Cooktown, on the southern side of the Endeavour River.
- Aircraft departing Cooktown for Cairns that have obtained a Landing Slot time from ATC will be processed more expeditiously.
- Caution - Ultralight activity east of the airfield.
- Weather reflects tropical location of Cooktown. Prevailing south-east breeze can cause build-up of low cloud and precipitation on surrounding hills. Monsoon season over hotter months routinely delivers unstable weather – careful flight planning and alternates recommended.
- Town of Cooktown 4.2nm ESE – historically and scenically a worthy stopover. Plenty of accommodation, restaurants and tours available.
- Busy international airport, Class C airspace, clearance from ATC required.
- Carry current Cairns VTC
- Submit Flight Notification
- See CASA’s OnTrack program for images and detailed explanation of inbound and outbound procedures at Cairns, Ground Ops, specific Class C procedures, Heli Ops and weather. www.casa.gov.au/ontrack
- If you have any queries, call ATC on 07 4050 5380 prior to arrival for help.
- Steep landing and parking fees apply. Call Cairns Airport for details 07 4080 6744 or email coords [at] cairnsairport.com.au
- High terrain immediately west of the airport attracts low cloud and possible turbulence off the mountains. In some circumstances, the Western VFR Route may not be suitable. Familiarize yourself with the coastal route, more suited to inclement weather.
- GA Parking available at GA apron, adjacent TWY A3.
- When taxiing around the A3 holding point, be very careful as it is close to the GA parking area. When RWY 15 is in use, aircraft are vacating the runway via the A3 TWY. At these times, it can become busy with multiple aircraft and vehicle movements.
- Arriving from the north, ATC may offer you straight-in approach RWY15 if duty runway. Otherwise, expect to join Western VFR corridor and follow ATC instructions.