Safety topic from Episode 10
Aerodromes (EP 10)
- Non-controlled aerodrome, CTAF 126.7. Unicom service may be provided.
- Avgas available, see ERSA
- AWIS Ph 07 4654 2861
- Friendliest airport cafe in the outback! Free internet access. Phone Alan or Peter for any queries relating to your visit to Charleville aerodrome – they’re also your very helpful refuellers! Phone 07 4654 3033
- Bird and animal hazard.
- Weather balloon launches. See ERSA
- LAME H24 Western Qld Air Maintenance Ph 07 4654 3030, AH 07 4654 3186
- Non-controlled aerodrome, CTAF 126.7
- Avgas available. See ERSA. Note: Prior notice is required for avgas, so keep in mind that notifying the refueller as early as possible is an airmanship trait, as well as a requirement.
- Parking restrictions in place. See ERSA.
- AWIS Ph 02 6792 4774 or freq 122.525
- Bird and animal hazard.
- Heads up: Out-n-Back crews encountered severe infestation of insects and bugs during flights into and out of Narrabri, causing poor visibility through windscreen and leading edges on wings laden with carnage.
- Home of Lake Keepit Soaring Club
- “Keepit Base”, CTAF 122.7
- Gliding operations 7 days a week, all year.
- Caution: multiple gliders in area, especially during competitions. Visiting pilots should call 02 6769 7514 prior to arrival for details on any club events.
- Complex runway layout – all grass
- Located approx halfway between Tamworth and Gunnedah.
- Note close proximity to Tamworth Class D & C controlled airspace to east. TW Tower freq 119.4
- Note danger area D538B, SFC-FL100, (Williamtown military flying training) south of Gunnedah. Carry ERC L3
- Serious kangaroo hazard warrants close runway inspection. Request ground assistance to clear, if required.
- Caution: avoid over-flying open cut mine near Goonbri Mountain, (1467ft peak marked on WAC), just north-east of Boggabri. Active blasting observed.
- Tamworth Tower operates Class C & D airspace 8500ft and below during tower hours. See ERSA.
- Carry Tamworth VTC
- Qantas, Jetgo and Virgin Australia operate regular RPT services.
- Refer to ERSA for information on avgas, GA parking, ATS frequencies, local traffic regulations and detailed arrival and departure flight procedures.
- Outside tower hours, CTAF 119.4
- If you are unsure about any procedures at Tamworth, phone ATC on 02 6764 5271 for assistance.
- Caution high terrain of the Great Dividing Range borders Tamworth to the east.
- Note military restricted area R547, SFC-4000ft to south-east of TW, RA2 status. Check NOTAMs.
- Regional airpark. Visitors welcome.
- Prior permission required. Phone Rob Loneragan for permission and strip condition: 0411 816300
- Carry VNC Newcastle for surrounding Williamtown military airspace. Check NOTAMs.
- Study published aerodrome information here before arrival: http://rylstoneaerodrome.com.au/aerodrome-information
- Grass cross strip.
- No avgas. Mogas by prior arrangement.
- Clubhouse and WC.
- Accommodation in nearby Rylstone township. No taxis. Airport vehicle may be available by prior arrangement.